Thursday, April 26, 2007

Body Count (OR: Another sad story)

For the second time this year, a student has died on campus.

It was another freshman male, a guy named Jaron Kormelink. To be honest, I don't recognize the name. I never met him, at least not that I know of. He lived on the opposite side of my building, Keen Hall, where his body was discovered by a service attendant. By all accounts, he had hanged himself as much as three days prior, which I've not heard any verification of. Authorites were called in, and the investigation is underway.

This being the second incident of its kind this year, there is plenty of talk of "what's going wrong?" all around campus. The truth is, this is not too unusual. It happens at schools all across the nation, and most of them have the plan to handle it. The fact is that the vast majority of students in dorms are in their late teens and early twenties. Many have never has a legitimate taste of the real world, and when they get to this scary new life, they aren't capable of handling the pressure.

It's similar to what I said after Dylan Prott's death. (Prott fell to his death after falling out his window in Pearce-Ford Tower, tripping on mushrooms). These things are unfortunately inevitable. There's not nearly as much we can do about as we'd like. Simply, we must learn to deal with them as they happen and do our best to prevent the circumstances from claiming yet another young life.

2 comments:

Chan said...

I knew Jaron Michael Kormelink.
He was like a brother to me during our high school years, but we lost touch the year after he graduated.
When I found out, I looked up every online article I could find on him.
I still do it every now and then, just to see if there's anything new.
And your blogspot popped up.

I could have done more to contact him...I guess I knew that.
It may be completely untrue, but I'd like to think I could have helped...if I had known.

Wallowing, I know.
I just wanted to thank you, for caring enough to document something about him.

marie said...

this is Jarons mom, thank you for being a friend in high school, those were rough years for him