Friday, November 16, 2007

Wallowing (OR: I'll Post Again, 'Cause I Can)

So I'm skipping English for the third time in two weeks, because there really isn't much of a point in me going. I can e-mail the assignment if I have the time. I just finished a pleading, albeit slightly snarky e-mail to my professor, in the thin hope I can get it in tomorrow morning.

I've got nearly an hour to kill before my 2:30, and I've had more time to kill today than I have classes - thus is Friday at Columbus State.

To be honest, I'e never had the particular feeling that an institution is below me. No, I went to schools with resources and faculty that enabled me to be challenged. There were easy classes at Darby, certainly - my Speech teacher, the ace Mr. Torrence, even dubbed me the King of BS - but there was enough meat that I could at least find some improvment.

No, here at Columbus State, we briefly touch on alchemy in Natural Science. Alchemy, for Christ sake. The curriculum, drawed up in earnest by CSCC themselves, is laughable, never touching on any subject long enough to make it matter to us. We went through the entire Biology chapter today, and all I can tell you from the textbook is that putting sweaty undergarments in a flask with wheat husks will not produce the spontaneus generation of rats. Seriously. This was apparently critical information. And I expect this shit to transfer?

I'm waiting, waiting, waiting. I miss last week, even, when I had something to look forward to, something to be excited about. Sure, it literally broke down an hour in, but I had something to motivate my being awake, really awake in the morning. Yeah, Hanna's supposed to come up next week, and I'll be delighted. But beyond that, what's there going to be? Christmas? Sure, but it really isn't what it used to be 'round the Lockman house, not with car repairs and insurance and whatnot. No, I fully expected less Christmas, even before any of these extras came along. I'm nineteen, I have no need to look to my parents for these things anymore. Not when I'm actually working full-time.

No, I'm just making it through a day, a week, maybe even a month at a time. I'm not even bothering to look ahead, because there's nothing even close on the horizon, not that I can see. Sure, the Playboy caravan might break down on Crestbury a little after New Year's, but I see no bus. No, minus any delightful surprises some higher power might have planned, it's more the same, I fear.

This isn't complaining, really. I've idled before and I'll idle again. It's a natural part of life, especially when nineteen and all that. This summer was pretty much the pits, and I found my way out of that, right?

Cold War Kids are playing Newport in a few weeks, that's gonna be pretty awesome. It's a great way to send out finals week. Without class, I can actually travel, or at least get out on the ton a little. Maybe this December won't suck. Maybe it'll be the worst yet.

Oh to be young, bored and vague.

EDIT: Jesus, I'm looking at my archives and realizing how pathetic my stats are. I'm averaging probably half a dozen posts a month. WTF?

1 comment:

Hanna said...

Hanna is glad she got a blip in there.. and is very, very excited.. and cannot wait! ..even though when she called her dad earlier he pretended to have not heard of this.. but was eventually okay with it.

Fin, the speaking in third person.

That's an odd thing to learn from a Biology book.. and.. don't skip class. Even though I was telling you to last week.. that's besides the point.. skipping class is bad.

Do you have to take the exact same classes for an entire semester more? ..another.. semester.. I'm not sure how that sentence is supposed to go..

Hang in there.. it seems bad right now.. but it'll eventually be better.. there are a whole lot of us who wish you weren't there either.. but understand why.

And I officially cannot make sentences today.. or maybe I'm just attempting to use words in ways they shouldn't be used..