Sunday, September 16, 2007

El Kitchen Krew (OR: Life at this exact moment)

It's 2:30 on a Saturday night...Sunday morning...you get the point. I should probably be asleep; considering my sleep schedule takes a major shift starting Wednesday, it'd be for the best. Alas, I am...not wide awake, but certainly not wilting. I'm rather content here; on the end of my bed, in a hoodie (damn, hoodie weather has come rather abruptly, no?) and...boxer briefs..pounding away on the keyboard once more, whilst watching new wallet teeter on the edge of the mattress...this moves me to look through it again, admiring the fact that I had a little bit of balls filling out the form, and listed myself at six feet tall. It's bullshit, but I give myself the little things like that sometimes.

Anyway, this is not supposed to be blogging in real time, this is supposed to be me talking about what the hell is going on with me. And the moment, really...like my wallet in a way, I am teetering. (Yeah...so it was a stretch. Give me credit for an attempted segue?)

Columbus State starts class on Wednesday (also International Talk Like A Pirate Day, as Matt and I have dutifully noted). I suppose I'm probably putting more stock into this as a major change than I ought to. It's not gonna be college, not the way I've been used to it; really, it's just a new routine to adapt to. Three days a week, drive to CSCC, go to class, eat, class, drive home. Work on weekends - I've become a regular kitchen closer. I also realized I could probably actually run that kitchen now, unlike the previously described evening where I pretty much ran around like a lineman on a busted pass play (for the non-sporting types out there, like a person who has no fucking clue what's going on). I've also gained a) the ability to bark out orders to other staff and be heard, and 2) a nasty cut from the FREAKING PAPER PROTECTOR ON A JAR OF HONEY MUSTARD, which, if you've never had the pleasure, stings like a son of a bitch.

And yeah, my ADHD is definitely kicking in. But it's readable, is it not?

(refreshing restroom break, cue Thom Yorke)

Now, where was I? Ah, Columbus State. I'm basically taking all the Freshman courses I didn't take as a Freshman...that's gonna be a fun explanation to everyone I meet. From experience, when describing your status, if it's not a specific year, then you have 25 words or less to explain it. Something like "taking my freshman gen. ed. stuff" should do the trick.

I've truly become happier with who I am since I took this new job. It's more complicated than BW3's and yet...it's hard to describe why it works so well. It pays scant more than Bee Dubs did, there's usually a lot more chaos, and the rush is killer...yet I feel far more content. I think there's a shared respect among all of us, that mutual "we have no idea what we're doing, but we're trying" vibe. That, and the fact I actually have some relative seniority.

I just happened to look at my guitar and think what a pity it is that I can't quite get down how to play it. Seriously.

2 comments:

Hanna said...

Explaining why you're in the freshman course is never fun.. especially for.. uhm.. your major.. yeah.. fun times with that one. Oh well.. at least they know now. Still, it rather sucks saying.. yeah, I failed so I had to take this again.. don't do that.

At least you just have to take the courses rather then say you have to take them again.

Ray Lockman said...

Technically speaking, at Columbus State, I'm undeclared. But yeah, I've basically swapped my freshman and sophomore years.