Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Life on the Kitchen Scene (OR: I was bossman!)

Approximately two weeks ago, I was hired at Movie Tavern as a cook. Full time. I've officially found my first job that gives me a living. Now, that doesn't include all those spiffy financial packages or insurance plans or whatnot, and it means staying to wash dishes until two in the morning, but nonetheless, I have a full-fledged adult job. Progress.

That said, I'm sore as hell. Run on your feet for nine hours a day for a few days and get back to me as a result. It's been a good year since I had regular physical activity (the occasional racquetball session aside), and I've picked a bug of some kind or something, or am not sleeping, or something. Maybe the handy-dandy WebMD body parts dude can rescue me.

Anyway, despite my soreness, I feel like I've done purty well for myself so far. I'm getting some rave reviews from my higher-ups, and that bodes well. I'm a good little worker drone.

Hell, I managed to run a kitchen tonight. It wasn't smooth, and in the beginning, it was slow as hell, but I pulled in a manager and got out act together. I ran two stations (sure, easy stations, but let me bask!) and got grill whipped into shape. It wasn't exactly the Ray Lockman show, but considering that I've not been there but for two weeks, I managed to produce the necessary food.

And of course when does our scheduled lead waltz back into the kitchen from his "emergency?"

7:45. Anyone who's worked a restaurant could join me in kicking some ass. Food service style.

No comments: