Saturday, October 6, 2007

Something Short of Sanctuary (OR: Free Yo Mind)

Another Friday, another dead afternoon at Columbus State. The air flirted with ninety degrees - again. For some reason, autumn has been ignoring us - tragic.

Still, my rather sad excuse for an English class let out early, again, and this gave me another hour to kill. The downside of my eight-hour block of class three days is all that free time. I really have no idea what to do with all of it. I've already found my favorite spots. I have a particular bench I sit on when I need to do any writing. It's a long, high-backed bench that runs in front of Columbus Hall - sure, it's concrete, but it does the trick.

Anyway, I wasn't feeling all that pensive, and I wasn't particularly hungry. So what am I to do with an hour to spare and ADHD running rampant? Settle my mind the hell down.

There's a little spot of grass - well there was grass there before. At this point, it's covered in tiny leaves and dirt. Shitloads of the stuff. And most afternoons, it's littered with students like me, just sitting around, wasting (biding?) time. But today, it was me, a kid fiddling with his iPod, and a girl on a cell phone. Positioning myself as far away from our second friend, I laid down - granted, my bookbag isn't quite comfortable, but I wasn't aiming for comfort. I managed to do something I didn't even realize I needed to do:

I shut down the clutter. I watched the leaves fall and float to the ground, and just lost myself in the foliage shade. It was beautiful.

A chill spot in the heart of Columbus State. Who'd have thought?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

listen to air while you do that. I am and it's SO FRICKING chill... meditation-worthy in a chemical kind of way.